Statement from the comittee - Download
A statement from the Committee of Basingstoke RFC
As many of you are no doubt aware unfortunately Michele Amos resigned her position as Chair of Committee earlier this week. We would like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude and thanks for the sterling effort that Michele has given to the post, and to the club as a whole. We are pleased to learn that she plans to continue in her coaching role.
We are mindful of the announcement made by Michele, and the reaction thereto particularly on social media, that has thrown up a number of matters necessitating a response and clarification.
1. The club constitution states that “the Committee shall elect its own Chairman for the ensuing year” (i.e. Chairman of the Committee) – the constitution is silent on the position of Club Chairman (i.e. it does not exist).
2. As a result, the Committee called a Special General Meeting, to which all members were invited, on 17 April 2019 at which a proposal was put to revise the wording of the constitution such that “ The Committee shall each year elect the Club Chairman, who will also be Chair of Committee” – the meeting voted against this proposal by 22 votes to 14, and the constitution remained unamended (i.e. the Committee remaining responsible for the election of their own Chair).
3. The current committee were elected at the AGM held on 19 June 2019 and at its first committee meeting, following election. voted for its own Chair of Committee (as set out in the constitution) – 2 candidates stood for the post and by a majority vote of 6 to 2 Michele was elected as Chair of Committee.
4. At the committee meeting held on 15 July 2019, it was agreed that a job description for Chair of Committee was required, and an action identified that a draft would be prepared for discussion at the next committee meeting.
5. This draft was duly prepared and circulated for comment in advance of the meeting to be held on 5 August 2019.
6. At the meeting held on 5 August 2019, the Chair (Michele) asked whether there were any comments on the job description circulated – no comments were forthcoming. At this point Michele announced that she was resigning from her position as Chair of Committee.
Whilst this clarification sets out the facts and timeline of the position that we find ourselves in, the Committee are nonetheless mindful of certain negative comments and reaction to this week’s events, and it would be both churlish and irresponsible to ignore them.
It is our intention to hold an ‘Open Forum’ early in September (once the holiday season has passed and thus allowing maximum opportunity for attendance) to discuss the above – this will also provide a platform to communicate further feedback from the recently conducted members questionnaire as well as providing the positive updates on other club matters such as the changing room and clubhouse improvements projects.
We trust that this provides a level of clarity and clarification that may previously have been lacking, and please rest assured that we remain totally committed to serving the members of all sections of our club.
In the meantime, the members of Committee remain here to discuss any specific matters you wish to discuss, namely David Greenaway – Senior Men’s Playing – firstname.lastname@example.org, Sheree Cooper – Senior Ladies Playing – email@example.com, Dave Cook – Marketing – firstname.lastname@example.org, Steve Tristram, President – email@example.com, David Crabbe, Commercial – firstname.lastname@example.org, Steve Appleby, Clubhouse – email@example.com, and Mark Rushworth, Secretary – firstname.lastname@example.org.